Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Blogging. What it needs.

I just finished watching a commercial about a program for teens in the Greensboro area. It's called Teen Talk and is sponsored by one of our local news stations. The program is for teens with eating disorders, but that's not what interested me. There was a little pop up during the commercial that said, "Blog about it". I thought it was ironic since I had just completed an introductory English course at UNC that focused on new literacies and the blogosphere. That prompted me to pick up my computer and take a look at this old economics blog. I realized that I had stopped updating it as soon as class was over and I feel a little guilty about that because my professor has such a passion for it. Then I took a look at everyone else's blog from my class and it turns out one of them has been deleted and the rest of them haven't made a single post since the end of the semester. Anyways, I've decided I'm going to blog again. I just don't feel like blogging is for the young generation of today, it's not the same as Facebook and other social networking sites. There's no feeling of interdependence or a sense of belonging. I feel like I'm just out here on the big wide web, lost in an eternally growing cyberspace.

If you look at the planet in comparison to all of space we're pretty small, but we're pretty big as far as the solar system is concerned. The same thing can be applied to blogging. The blogosphere is just too big for teens especially when they feel like a miniscule part. I think people need to feel validated, especially teens and they just aren't in the blogosphere.
I hate the way this was written I need to fix it.

No comments: