My eighth science teacher once told me that they never publish the best stories in the front of the newspapers. She said everything that was controversial could be found in the back of the newspaper placed in a neglected corner where few readers would find it. I'm not sure how true that might actually be, but I did manage to find an interesting story about China after navigating through several pages of MSNBC's website.
The story was very interesting; however, I doubt that I would have found it if I hadn't been looking for it.
Apparently approximately 40,000 infants have been admitted to local hospitals in provinces throughout China with kidney complications. The cause of the epidemic was traced to one of China's dairy farms which had put an excess of melamine, a additive used to cheat quality checks. Naturally thousands of chinese parents were in uproar over the matter. Many families sought advice from lawyers on what legal action could be taken. However not long after lawyers began offering free legal advice, the Chinese government began to exert pressure on many lawyers. Some lawyers were called multiple times and warned that there would be serious repercussions for anyone who continued to escalate the situation. Personally, I don't think it's right that the families couldn't have their day in court, but I can understand China's point of view as well. They don't want this problem to escalate into a serious situation that might have negative effects on their economy. Sadly, I think it may have already gone too far.
News sites have reported that the tainted milk may have been used in milk based products that have already been shipped to many countries around the Asian Pacific.
1 comment:
The same food crisis is taking place in South Korea also, because some of the snacks that are put on market in Korea are produced in China. Although the thought that the Chinese' economy would be hurt is scary but having kidney stones in your body is even scarier. The government should put more effort in stopping any production of food that contain melamine and distributing them instead of trying to shut people's mouths.
Post a Comment