
Today is going to be one of those days when I talk about something that isn't necessarily all about economics, but does relate to economics in some fashion.
This morning Antonio, my Spanish teacher, handed back our first compositions. He handed mine back to me and when I saw the grade I was immediately disappointed. I got an 86 on the paper which was much lower than the grade I anticipated I would get. I had worked hard on the paper, but for some reason I still couldn't manage to get an A. In high school, Spanish had been one of my favorite subjects and I enjoyed taking the class each year. I usually received A's on a majority of the work that I did and I didn't have to put a lot of effort into learning the material. However, things are very different now. Every other morning I wake up at eight o'clock to go to class and I loathe every minute of it. I hate the fact that I walk into a classroom of people I don't know and I can't stand the Spanish department's teaching style. I'm not sure why this came about. It might have something to do with the fact that I placed into a higher level Spanish than I should have, at least that's what I'm starting to think. There are a lot tenses and vocabulary that I haven't learned and everyone else seems to know them very well. I'm worried that I'm falling behind and won't ever be able to catch up.

the way back from class I talked to another girl in my Spanish class about the paper. She said, "I didn't get the grade I wanted either." However, she also confessed that she started the paper the night before and woke up to finish it that morning. If that wasn't enough when I asked her what she got she told me she got a 90. I'm starting to feel discouraged. If my best work can't beat the careless work of someone else, should I really be taking the class?
I'm almost positive this experience is going to have a lasting impact on my desire to learn about the Spanish language and that's exactly what I don't want to happen. Before entering college, or this class for that matter, I had planned on majoring or minoring in Spanish, but it's seriously starting look like that's not going to happen. In economics this whole predicament is known as the law of diminishing marginal returns and I'm starting to feel like the returns are rapidly diminishing. What should I do? Am I just worrying too much?
No comments:
Post a Comment